Many brides like themes for wedding parties but they don’t want a cheesy look for it. I also think that Summer garden parties are glorious with color and green textures. So I chose Alice in Wonderland as an idea for this styled photo shoot, that we called “Alice in August”.
However, as you may notice, we have no teacups or party hats. Instead, we designed a chic engagement party. Everything on the table was elegant but kept the spirit of Alice’s garden party with the Mad Hatter.
There are a few elements and details to pay attention to:
- the table flowers, with vibrant clusters of flowers not arrangements of multiple flowers;
- we started with a wooden table to begin the outdoor feel. It was dressed it up with Herend china in a variety of patterns placed on “greenery” chargers. We added casual flatware and napkins in corresponding colors. The glasses are hand blown colored glass by Moser.
The very best part for me was styling the bride in a whimsy outfit that captured the spirit of the event with a classy look.
Tips to organize an amazing styled photo shoot
Are you considering to do your own styled photo shoot? I have a few tips to share:
1. If I am the originator of the styled shoot, I decide on a theme. This is based on what I have not seen in print or social media (of course as soon as I’m done it seems “my idea” is everywhere) but each shoot has it’s own take, color, design elements making it original. Be careful NOT to copy or to imply a design is yours when it clearly is not.
2. I decide on one element that will command all the other elements for the shoot. Whether it’s color, venue, dress, furniture, the era….the list is endless. Then, I choose vendors that will enhance the shoot for publication or advertising or my web marketing.
Always: outfit, invite suite, flowers, table setting.
Add-ons: furniture, props, video behind scenes
3. I promote and partner every shoot choosing which one will be a good fit for the style I’ve chosen. This is time-consuming and very important. I also ask my vendors what they need so we can try to incorporate for their needs.
4. Styled shoots promote my business two ways. Other professionals get to know me and understand my work and vision. If they have a couple who will fit my style they recommend me. Couples looking for design can see my work or follow my work and set appointments for possible bookings.
5. For the most part, I love the staging experience. I would just do this if I could. I especially love to make new relationships. I have helped other wedding planners with their shoots. The staged day is long and stressful. Be prepared to add ideas or take them away at a moment’s notice. Sometimes things just don’t look good in a photo but look great on the table. Bring lots of extra items. You just never know when something will change and voila you have an incredible opportunity.
Vendors’ list for the Styled photoshoot – chic engagement party with Alice
Design: Shannon Lemp | Invite suite: Letters_by_leah | Calligrapher: Calligraphy for Life’s Celebrations | Photo: Cody Krogman | Bow ties: Pimpont | Hair and makeup: Savanah summer beauty | Ring: Huffords Jewelry | Floral: Ken Miesners Floral Shoppe | Table setting: Sasha Nicholas | Dessert: Boardwalk Waffles | Dress: Frew’s Bridal | Model: Amanda Aussieker | Shoes: Walking Cradles